Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dennis' Mango Habanero BBQ Sauced Salmon Roll-Ups By: Bryanne Salazar


 Hot Licks® sent me this delicious BBQ sauce a few weeks ago and I'd been meaning to give it a whirl. I finally had my chance this afternoon when I spied a gorgeous filet of wild sockeye salmon in my fridge eager to be cooked. 

I tasted the sauce ala carte to see what kind of flavor it was packing. Whoa! You get the tart-sweet mango followed by a blast of hot with the habanero. Just like Dennis' Key Lime BBQ Sauce, you are definitely walking outside the line of traditional BBQ flavor.

The sauce was delicious, but leave it to me to add on to a good thing. 

I minced up about a teaspoon of fresh ginger on my microplane and then added three sliced scallions to about 1 cup of Dennis' Mango Habanero BBQ Sauce. Then I stirred!


I spread the sauce over the entire top of my salmon filet. But - before I get ahead of myself, I want to add that I should have sprinkled my salmon with a light dusting of salt to amp up the flavor. I didn't, but you should. Trust me.


I placed the sauced up salmon, skin-side down, in a preheated 350F oven for about 20 minutes, until it was just tender.


The sugars in the sauce caramelized on the sides of the fish and tasted amazing on my finger. Let it cool a minute before you try.

While the salmon rested, I pulled out some accoutrements, namely, a fresh burrito-size flour tortilla, about 1/4 cup of baby arugula leaves, a few slices of English cucumber and 1/4 of an avocado.

We are lucky to have a gas stove, and I tend to throw my tortillas directly on the fire (medium-high) for roughly 8-10 seconds per side, until they are lightly charred around the edges.


Once the tortilla was done, I added my baby arugula right down the center, followed by a few thin slices of English cucumber.


Then I decided to try Dennis' Mango Habanero BBQ Sauce mixed with equal parts Best Foods Mayo to make a luscious, creamy sauce to coat the veggies. It worked! For one burrito I used 1 tablespoon of each and stirred until smooth.




After the sauce was made, I sliced 1/4 of a ripe avocado and layered the slices across the English cucumber.


Then, I drizzled the sauce over the veggies. Mmmm.
  

Finally, I flaked a few chunks off the cooked salmon and layered them on top of the sauced up veggies.



Then, I rolled that bad boy, sealing one side for maximum holdage.  To make it pretty, I sliced the roll in half and did a chef-stack to make it look amazing. Doesn't it?




Give this recipe a spin and see what you think. You can find Dennis' Mango Habanero BBQ Sauce® on the Hot Licks® website by clicking Here!
A foodie of the worst kind, Bryanne has a passion for searching out unique cuisines across the globe. Her motto, "Always try it twice," means she is not afraid to bite down on whatever life puts on her plate. Currently Bryanne freelances for the Fredericksburg Freelance Star's Healthy Life Virginia eNewsletter; writes product reviews for Hot Licks®; is a contributing recipe author for www.whattheflicka.com; and is working on her first novel, a nonfiction murder mystery. In her free time she enjoys competition circuit cooking and spending time with her husband and two sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment